Asafoetida plant products
- Asafoetida which is the main and most valuable product of Asafoetida plant.
- Asafoetida leaf: The leaf of this plant, after harvesting and drying, can be used as a gastrointestinal disinfectant for humans, animals and poultry.
Chemical composition of Asafoetida
Asafoetida contains compounds such as: essential oil, resin, ethylene and frolic acid. In terms of chemical composition, Asafoetida root (F.assa foetida) contains azotithanol, ferulic acid, volatile essential oil, pinene, azulene, mucilage, basorin, etc., and Asafoetida resin contains a large amount of tannin (about 60%) and There is about 20% resin and 4-5% essential oil. In some species, the amount of essential oil in tear Asafoetida samples reaches up to 15%. Asafoetida essential oil has a foul odor similar to garlic, and this odor is due to the presence of sulfur compounds in it, which makes up more than 50% of the essential oil.
Properties of Asafoetida
Asafoetida resin is considered to have many properties in the Far East. Resin derived from Asafoetida root is consumed by the Romans and is commonly widely consumed in India. Asafoetida is exported China and other parts of the Far East from Iran and Afghanistan via Mongolia.
– In the food industry, it is possible to use the essential oil of Asafoetida resin to produce all kinds of spices.
– In the livestock and poultry industries, medicines from Asafoetida resin are needed to bypass some other dangerous diseases.
– In the pharmaceutical industry, the resin of this plant is used to treat diseases of nervous origin, respiratory system (sputum), laryngeal and intestinal spasms, asthma, digestive system (anti-flatulence) and to eliminate as many elderly people’s constipation as possible.
– This plant is useful for reducing chronic bronchitis and cough due to its antimicrobial properties and has anti-pregnancy properties which is used in traditional medicine as a medicine for Contraceptives.
Asafoetida plants is a good protector against triglycerides and cholesterol from eating fatty foods, Asafoetida plants contain coumarin, which is useful for blood thinning. This plant also has carbohydrates, proteins and minerals such as calcium and phosphorus and due to anti-inflammatory properties, which to counteract the effects of long time use alcoholic, the order of liver damage and inflammation is useful.
Asafoetida is also useful for treating hysteria. It is used as a stomach tonic to kill extinct worms.
– Asafeotida is antiseptic mouthwash and put it on a decayed or currently decayed tooth to soothe the toothache.